Friday, October 23, 2009

Our first week

     We've gotten settled in to our temporary home for language study. Our host family has been very welcoming and hospitable. We're learning to do things the Lao way:) One new thing we're learning to do is take dip bathes. You use a scoop and a barrel of water to take your shower. We're also learning to eat the Lao way, which is to use your fingers and dip in community bowls.
     Our language study has been great. We have class every day from 1:30 to 4:45. We've learned all of the consonants and next week we'll study the vowels. We've also learned to introduce ourselves and say some basic conversation phrases. It's still difficult for us to order food or ask for things at the store. Yesterday, Michael thought he was asking for water and they offered him milk.
    Last night, Michael made chocolate covered pecans and we took them to our neighbors. The kids loved them. The little boy had chocolate all over his face. The children there are helping us with our Lao. They get a real kick out of us. The man of the house gave us Lao names. Michael is Sai and I am Duan. Sai means winner and Duan means moon.
   Michael has gotten pretty good as driving the motorbike. The traffic near our house has been crazy!! We're making it in one piece from home to school to the one coffee place we know how to get to. It has been a real adventure.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah you have a blog! I am so proud! :) You guys have a lot of adjustments - I pray that you will both adjust quickly and easily. I'm liking the new names. I'll have to remember them. :) Chocolate covered pecans...what a great idea...they sound so yummy! I can't wait read the next posts! Take care! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl! Ya'll be sure your using the correct hand for dipping into those community bowls! Can't believe you posted the squatty picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Michael and Rebecca: It sounds like things are going well. Dip Bath- Do you have hot water? and the squatty potty is something that I don't handle very well. Do you have an western potty at the home where you are staying? I'm sure you are doing fine with the food. Most of it that I had was pretty tasty. Ya'll will be making sticky rice and all those sauces before long. I hope the weather is not too hot. It has cooled off some, hasn't it. I love your blog. Keep pictures coming. It is fun to see where you are and what you are doing. Love you, Betsy

    ReplyDelete